I’ve have been quite the jet setter this summer. I went to Texas, New Orleans, Savannah, North Carolina, and I’ll be hitting Destin and St. Augustine soon, too. And let’s not forget Dragon*Con in a few weeks! I didn’t get nearly as much writing done as I should have, but I did play Organ Trail a lot…so much that I want to do a review.
So basically, Organ Trail is a remake of The Oregon Trail by The Men Who Wear Many Hats. Instead of pioneers in a covered wagon seeking a better life, it is the story of The Zombie Apocalypse. After the zombie outbreak, some towns are nuked, and you must lead your party in a station wagon across the country to the one safe haven! You can still get the signature, Oregon Trail diseases, like Cholera, Typhoid and Dysentery, and there are all kinds of new problems the RNG (Random Number Generator) Gods can send your way, like getting bitten by a zombie or kidnapped by a bandit or attacked by a zombie bear, or losing cash in the seat and never finding it again! I have played this game over and over, and I finally beat it in Suicide Mode. I am one proud gamer gal!
What I Like About The Game
- Because of achievements, and random shenanigans, the replay value of this game is high.
- I don’t play this game true to the plot anymore, which makes it fun to figure out how best to win. I never waste my supply slots on food anymore. Waste…of…resources!
- I LOVE the graphics. They stay true to the vibe of Oregon Trail but have lots of hilarious quirks and references.
- A lot of people complained about the controls, but that is poppycock. What did these haters expect? To be true to the theme, the controls HAVE to be old school and limited. That’s part of the fun. This is a remake of a game made in 1971, not the latest first person shooter. Get over it, and just enjoy shooting bullets with the lame, drag-and-click system.
- The music in this game is awesome. ‘Nuff said.
- Who doesn’t like coming-up with hilarious names to make the game announcements that much funnier?! “Dat Ass” and “Yo Mom” are among my favorites!
What I Don’t Love About The Game
- You can’t sell car parts, so I could have five mufflers and still starve to death.
- I don’t quite understand why when being attacked by the motorcycle gang the bullets they shoot do considerable damage to my car, but ramming them with my car does no damage. Lol.
- You can’t kill the zombie bear.
- Steam has had some hiccups with this game, thus some of the achievements I’ve unlocked are still locked. Lame sauce!